Optimist Club Activities
Optimist Club Activities
The Palisades Optimist Club programs and distinguished guest speakers offer members an opportunity to learn more about topics of interest in Los Angeles. The weekly programs also feature the youth in the community and their accomplishments, such as the Essay and Oratorical Contest winners, the awarding of Youth Scholarships or Outstanding Youth Appreciation awards.
These meetings help to reinforce the member commitments to youth and allow all members to take pride in the Club’s accomplishments. Annually, there are numerous Optimist activities in which the Optimists lead, sponsor or actively participate. As many as 20 local programs each year are focused in the following areas:
- Palisades High School programs– Career planning (“Roads to the Future”), student of the month, teen contest scholarships, Palisades High School Band and sports programs receive support from the Club.
- Paul Revere Middle School programs – Career planning (“Roads to the Future”) and scholarships are offered.
- Community Program Grants – Palisades Will Rogers 5 & 10K Run Foundation (“PWR Foundation”) grants, in conjunction with the Optimist Club, are awarded based on various criteria including the effectiveness of the programs. Preferences are given to applicant organizations that are based in Pacific Palisades and/or provide services that benefit youth in the community. Last year, grants were given to 27 organizations that provide programs to “Bring Out the Best in Youth.”
- Youth programs– Essay contest, oratorical contest, Youth of the Month, Optimist/YMCA annual youth track meet and Pacific Palisades Baseball Association are sponsored by the local club.
- Community Activities– Members participate in the annual July 4th Palisades Will Rogers 5 & 10K Run sponsored by the PWR Foundation, by registering entrants, providing water and refreshments, and handing out T-shirts. A crowd favorite in the Palisades July 4th parade is the Optimist Club’s award-winning semi-naked, semi-precision drill team. A Red Cross blood drive, community CPR training programs and Salvation Army Kettle Day are all activities supported by the Club.
- Optimist Youth Homes– The Club supports the region’s largest private agency that provides comprehensive treatment, specialized education and support services to abused, neglected and troubled youth living in California. These Optimist Youth Home programs give troubled youth a second chance.